The detail on the front cover shows up better in this shot. My aim was to make it look as if the decorative panels had broken off or been worn away in places. I am wondering whether to add tiny touches of gold with a paint marker pen, or leave well alone. If in doubt, leave it out?
I bound the pages to the spine which was made from a strip of Grungepaper which is a craft product that can be stitched, painted, etc. I bored holes through this to line up with holes in the covers and used very large decorative brads to fasten them together. The back is attached similarly although I have left it free of decoration. As I made the binding stitches I threaded those which would show on the outside with a variety of beads. They seem to have slackened somewhat and I don't know if this is because I didn't draw them up tight enough, or if I tightened them too much and the stitch holes have stretched. Luckily I want the whole thing to look very battered and ancient so a row or two of droopy beads will just add to the effect.
A closer look at the spine. I included one or two hand made rolled paper beads and two long oblong commercial ones with four holes which helped hold things together. They have lovely little spiral patterns and look as if they are made from bone, which is very fitting.