Tuesday 2 October 2012

What happened to last week!

I haven't been idle even if I haven't been a good blogger, and came across this little needlecase when I was having a clear out the other day.   It came from my mother and I think may even have belonged to her mother.   It is almost threadbare and could be made of silk.
Some of the needles inside are the smallest and finest I have ever seen and still usable, though quite a few are slightly rusted and need a rub down with some fine sandpaper.

 It would be nice to know how old it is - my grandmother died in 1966 so it is definitely well over 60 years old and could be as much as 100 years old I suppose.  Such a tatty little object but a precious little treasure.

In between gardening - showers permitting - and clearing things out, I have been knitting.    Some years ago I found I had a lot of odd balls of wool some of which were really nice yarn.  I didn't want to get rid of them so decided to make a garment from them.  I played around with a pattern to create a sort of longline sweater which didn't turn out the way I wanted and it languished in the back of the wardrobe for ages.   I unpicked it recently and using a different pattern I have reknitted it into a jacket style cardigan.   I am on the second sleeve so not far to go now and if it turns out well I might treat myself to some really nice yarn to make a smarter cardigan.   The colour is richer than it appears here - think royal blue plus dark moody blues and a few lighter areas.

If I don't get back into the habit of blogging on a regular basis I shall be in danger of forgetting how to upload photographs!

6 comments:

Maggi said...

What a lovely find Heather, so precious and a great piece of your sewing heritage. The wools you are using look gorgeous.

The Weaver of Grass said...

Oh yes Heather - you are well and truly living up to my colour theory about the difference between men and women aren't you? Moody blues indeed!

Carol Q said...

Like you I would certainly treasure that needle case Heather. looking forward to seeing the knitting too. We won't let you forget how to blog have no fear!

Ro Bruhn said...

What a dear little needle case Heather. I have one in the form of a tiny book with a cottage on the cover, it came from a lovely elderly lady many years ago. Looking forward to seeing your finished garment, the wool looks like a lovely mixture.

DIAN said...

I agree, last week disappeared somewhere. Love the knitting.

Robin Mac said...

I have a threadbare needlecase of my mother's which I can't bear to throw away, too many lovely memories. Your wool looks really interesting, I love those colours. Cheers