Sunday 16 February 2014

Hello! Do you remember me?

I don't think I have ever had such a long gap between posts.  I have had nothing interesting to write about and don't like writing a letter unless it can be cheerful and interesting.  What with the weather, a heavy head cold (now better) and a very uncomfortable leg which makes walking difficult and extremely tiring, I didn't want to transfer my down-in-the-dumps to everyone in Blogland.  The leg is slowly improving and I have been out in the lovely sunshine this morning and even managed a little bit of gardening.  I am longing for the ground to dry a bit so I can really get to work out there and realise how fortunate I am not to have to wait for several feet of water to subside first.

I am unable to post any pictures today - my computer has days like this occasionally.   I had taken photos of two of the fashion pages in today's Sunday Telegraph supplement.   It is a Sunday afternoon ritual for me to settle down with a cuppa and have a chuckle at 'what we will all be wearing this year'!!   Today's photos are real crackers.   There are seven full page shots in all, but the best/worst one shows an ensemble comprising of a black knitted openwork jacket £4,180;  white silk and wool waistcoat (which is barely visible in the photo) £527; black and white dog's tooth skirt £783;  white cotton and silk shorts £985; red leather gloves £620 and to top it all off a lilac satin bow for £500!   That's a staggering £7,595!  The model looks as though she hasn't even combed her hair, suitably bored, undernourished and in no way attractive.  How can these ridiculous outfits and their prices be justified?   I know the fabrics used will have been the best in the land and probably exquisitely stitched, but the final effect doesn't do them justice.   Does anyone actually buy and wear these overpriced garments?   Anyone could look better dressed in clothes bought from charity shops.   What has happened to fashion in recent times?   When I was young the models looked beautiful, graceful, well groomed, the clothes were flattering, and we all wished we could afford them.   How times have changed.

16 comments:

Charlton Stitcher said...

Cloud cuckoo land ... and all for a sum that's more than my annual state pension! All you can do is laugh ...

Robin Mac said...

I am totally with you on the 'fashions?' of today. Elegance is a meaningless word to the young ones, and I am not even convinced that those very expensive clothes are necessarily well sewn - I have seen some in shops which definitely weren't! So glad I am past the age of wanting to be fashionable! Hope you can get into the garden soon. Cheers

Gina said...

You are so right about the so called "fashions" in the Sunday supplements Heather. Ridiculous prices for skimpy bits of nothing!

Julie said...

I'm sorry you've been under the weather Heather but I'm pleased to hear the cold is under control and you are beginning to be a bit more mobile. It was a glorious day today so I'm pleased you were able to enjoy your garden. Like you we are very lucky not to have suffered any flooding.

Kat Mortensen said...

All my clothes come from charity shops!

Glad to hear your cold is waning, and that you were able to enjoy some sunshine. The sun makes everything better at this time of year.

Sorry about your lagging leg though.

Spring is coming. Hooray!

Maggi said...

I'm glad to hear that you are improving health wise and also that you have escaped the flooding. Amazing how many things are appearing through the sodden ground, including weeds!

Thank goodness for the respite we had yesterday and although it's gloomy today here, at least the wind is staying away.

Maggie Grey said...

Glad you are feeling better. What a lovely day yesterday was and now it's all grey again. Boo. As you say we must feel grateful that we are not up to out fetlocks in flood water.

Carol Q said...

I enjoyed reading your more than usual verbal post Heather. Sorry you've been under the weather and glad that you're improving. The actual weather certainly hasn't helped has it and it was so lovely to see blue sky yesterday (we spent the day in Bristol). I've given up looking at the fashions. It's all so beyond my pocket and reality.

The Weaver of Grass said...

Those were the days Heather.

Crafty Green Poet said...

fashion for people with more money than sense

Virginia said...

Glad you're feeling better Heather. Hopefully the leg will sort itself out will warmth and sunshine.

I look at the fashion insert and laugh - I'm sure they're done to see how gullible people are. You don't see "old money" dressing in them, only the wannabes.

ferinn said...

Glad you are back in blog land and feeling better.the weather doesn't seem to have dampened the garden breaking into life.I often look at the fashion in the Observer and wonder who is able to justify the prices!

sweetypie said...

amazing isn't it, personally I love a good charity shop findhope your leg feels better soon

Josie said...

I don't think I've spent that much in my entire life on clothes. I even got married in my mum's old wedding dress. Thanks for making me chuckle!

Linda Vincent said...

Hi Heather....hope you are ok and that you're managing to get out in your lovely garden this week.
Won't be long now..... :-D xx

WendyK said...

So pleased you are feeling better, and back in blog land.
I hope you ordered some of those clothes for me, what a way to spend all of my pensions in one go. I would then not be able to buy food, and would eventually fit in them.