Sunday 24 July 2016

Chaos reigns!

As you can see, chaos reigns on my worktable which was beautifully tidy a few weeks ago.

I haven't got very far with my fabric book of memories of my grandmother, but here are the four pages so far completed.  I am not sure I like the handwritten text and may have to come up with an alternative.   It is so hard to keep the fabric smooth and write at the same time.


I have been very busy working on the garden which is slowly returning to a respectable state.  By the end of the day I am too tired to concentrate so have sometimes amused myself by experimenting with little collages.

They are all made on khadi paper about 5 inches square.

I have so many bits and pieces and am amazed at what I have kept, but much of it has been useful in putting these together.

They are really tottering baby steps in collage - I have probably broken all the rules, and I don't even know if there are any to break.

I have found them quite relaxing to assemble.

Some have worked better than others.   I am not sure about the one above, but do like the last one.

I must get back to Granny's book before I have another book to work on.  At the beginning of September I am treating myself to one of Frances Pickering's weekend workshops.  This year's theme is Town or Country -  I have chosen Country.  Already I have too many ideas buzzing round in my head.  I think I might work on paper this time as I want to make myself do more drawing - scary!  But who knows - by the time I have listened to Frances' opening talk I might change my mind completely.

10 comments:

Heather said...

Apologies for the section of giant photo near the end of my blog. I have no idea how it came about.

janet said...

Looking forward to seeing you in September Heather. Read writing on fabric can you iron the page onto freezer paper or perhaps it is a double thickness?

Ro Bruhn said...

What a beautiful book Heather it's progressing very well indeed.

Heather said...

Thankyou Ro and thankyou Janet for your very useful tip. I hadn't thought of using freezer paper as a support.

Crafty Green Poet said...

such lovely collages and the book is a beautiful tribute to your grandmother

The Weaver of Grass said...

Oh Heather, how lovely to see you working on your book and your handwork again - and I love those collages do frame the best.

The Bug said...

Those are so lovely! A very nice way to spend your time...

Robin Mac said...

I am playing cachup again as usual. Your book is going to be as lovely as all the others you have made. I love your collages and agree with Pat - you should frame some of them. Have fun with Frances Pickering, she is inspirational.

WendyK said...

Fabulous start on the book about your Grandma. It's great to see you sewing again.
Thank you for being my best Blog visitor.

WendyK said...

I just had a read through some posts I had missed. I hope your hubby has completely recovered and your nurses uniform has been mothballed. Wendy xx