Thursday 6 April 2017

Hello again.

I feel as if I am just coming up for air and have spent a pleasant hour or so in the garden today rediscovering the edges of the lawn.  What a difference that makes to the look of it.

While sorting through my husband's things and disposing of them among the family and further afield, I was amazed at how much there was to do.   I decided to give my own possessions the same treatment.   There have been many journeys to the tip, recycling centre, charity shops, and elsewhere, and the house looks beautifully clear and tidy.  I was almost ashamed at the amount of 'stuff' we had both accumulated during the past 35 years.  It definitely pays to move house more frequently.

I had decided not to make any big decisions for some months, but heard of a small flat in a very nice complex for retired people in our little town.  I went to see it and fell in love with it straight away though the time was not right for me and anyway it was soon snapped up.   However, there is a strong possibility that another will soon be on the market, so fingers crossed.   The flats are so conveniently placed for all amenities and have their own beautiful gardens, and I will still be close to my family.

After all the clearing, tidying and sprucing up, I put the house on the market last week and accepted an offer two days ago!   Things are moving fast but fortunately my purchasers are happy to wait and I am under no pressure.

It will be so good not to have stairs or so much house to care for, and a lovely garden to enjoy without the need to get out and keep it looking good myself.   I thought I would hate leaving my garden but the energy levels are not what they were and it requires ever more effort to keep it looking loved.

I think my wonderful family will have earned a rest once I am resettled.   They have worked so hard clearing the garage, two sheds and carting all the stuff away to charity shops, etc., for me.  I can't thank them enough.

When moving day eventually arrives there will be far less to cope with and the whole event should be much easier.

I'll keep you posted as to how things are going.



7 comments:

Penny said...

Heather, so glad to hear that things are going ahead, retirement to a house with no stairs and a garden you can enjoy without the work sounds wonderful

Ro Bruhn said...

So glad things are working out for you Heather. Your new house will give you a whole new lease on life. Take care.

The Bug said...

That sounds ideal! Having mowed our lawn today I can appreciate the appeal of downsizing.

Gina said...

Fingers crossed the move will go smoothly for you Heather and you'll get the flat you want. My mum is on the move again and has just put an offer in on a flat.

The Weaver of Grass said...

I just came over to read this after your comment on my post today Heather, I too am
trying to clear away years of memories and it is hard, but necessary. I try to do a bit every day- that way I never get too tired.
Your little flat idea sounds a good one - I hope one comes quickly on to the market for you.
Thank you for your lovely letter too.

Julie said...

Dear Heather, I seem to have lost touch with you a bit. I hope your move is still going ahead and that you will soon be settled in a lovely flat with access to the beautiful gardens. You have been very brave and strong to tackle so many years of gathering and memories. Well done you and here's to you being content in your new home very soon. xx

The Weaver of Grass said...

Dick's 89th Birthday Heather - another milestone passed. We soldier on, just as they would have expected us to do. Love to you.