Thursday 18 January 2018

I am back in the land of blog.

I am happily settled in my little flat and this is my 'play room'.  I got rid of a lot of books and craft/textile stuff but still seem to have kept a whole roomful!

My living room looking one way.
The same room looking the opposite way.

My tiny kitchen which is so bright and light even on a dull day.  In spite of it's size it has been cleverly planned and has plenty of storage.  There is a fridge freezer just out of shot on the right and the washing machine is on the left.

My creativity seems to have returned - thank goodness.  At one time I wondered if I should get rid of all my craft stuff - so glad I didn't.   Above is the little book I made on one of Frances Pickering's courses which I attended last September.  Two very tiny books with fabric covers are attached top and bottom to the spine.   I was determined that I would draw all the entries myself, and that it would be a book of memories of the garden I enjoyed for 35 years.  I do miss it in some ways but it is an enormous relief not to have the responsibility of it's upkeep.

This pages has a tag which carries a list of all the birds that visited the garden, and a drawing of the 'sparrow cote' - it wasn't big enough to be a dove-cote.
The tag in the pocket on this page has a list of all the creatures that we saw in the garden during the time we lived there.
The colours are not as washed out as they appear here.  I didn't pick the best day to take the photos.  I set myself quite a challenge as some of the pages are fabric and I drew directly onto them.  So what you see is a 'warts and all' version.   I coloured them with Derwent Coloursoft pencils.  The tiny book has a list of all the herbs I used to grow.

I was so pleased to come across these tiny charms to attach to the bottom of some of the pages.  They are just right for this project.

There are more pages to be worked on and a few tweaks to finish it off, but it has opened up my creativity and I hope there will be fresh ideas to be worked on.

I can't believe how much time has elapsed since my last post and certainly won' t leave it so long before the next one.

10 comments:

Sarah said...

What a lovely idea and so beautifully executed. We've just begun the process of moving from our house and garden after 26 years. I made my garden from scratch and have kept copious diaries and journals and even blogged about it for a bit but I love what you have shown here and if I may I would like to use your idea as my starting off point for my own goodbye to my garden. You clearly love gardening and plants and wildlife and I'm wondering if you have any outlets for these interests in your new home.

The Weaver of Grass said...

Heather I love your books - I hope you manage to go on another course with that inspirational woman. Seeing this book in such detail is a delight.

Your flat looks nice and cosy. Our husbands would be pleased to see us so settled. Wish we lived a bit nearer to one another, then we could have a cup of tea on a dismal afternoon like today.

Bonnie said...

I only just discovered your blog (I discovered it through Weaver's blog) and I love your beautiful artwork on the books! I've always been interested in fiber arts. I make quilts and wall hangings but your work is just stunning! Congratulations on your recent move. You have a lovely home and your craft room looks perfect!

Gina said...

Your book is beautiful Heather and a lovely memento of your garden. Your new flat looks very bright and cosy.

Sara lechner said...

I wrote about your beautiful new apartment and book in an answer to your comment in my blog. I don't know if you get a notice that you received a comment though... I love both things, the decoration of the rooms, the kitchen, the book, the charms, everything!!

The Bug said...

Your place looks lovely! I'm envious of that bright kitchen. And your book is WOW - love it!

ferinn said...

It is so lovely to see you settled and being creative again.Your book and drawings are delightful and such an original way to remember you garden.

Jane said...

Good to see you back in the saddle Heather, your book is lovely.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

Looks like you have found a place to be happy in, but you must have been at least a little sad to have to get rid of books.

WendyK said...

Fabulous, what a lovely memory of your garden. One of those has been on my list for ages.