Tuesday 29 January 2019

A GREAT LITTLE FIND.

 Just before Christmas I came upon a small book called 'My Year in Small Drawings by Matilda Tristram.  There is lots of sound advice on making the effort  to draw frequently, and I am trying to do one or two tiny sketches each day.  It is more or less working - some days I forget so I make it up on others.

There are hints and suggestions for topics throughout the book, but I have decided to draw what interests me most though when I run out of ideas the hints are useful.

I started on 23rd Dec. by drawing my coffee mug, carriage clock and wrist watch.  Sometimes I will copy something from a photograph or book, or just draw my hand or a shoe - anything within reach.

Each page in the book is divided into 4cm squares which is not too daunting, and there are 12 squares on each page. I aim at filling three squares every day.  I am already starting to want more space, (which seems to be a good sign), and also wanting to add colour.  So far I have been using a very fine pen and putting up with the wrong lines, but am looking forward to using pencil and being able to correct any wrong lines.

 I have taken a few photos and tried to post them without success, and am beginning to wonder if the fault is with my camera and not with my laptop.  Oh dear - I don't want to have to get used to another new gadget!  I'll have to get one of my offspring to look at both for me and give their advice.

4 comments:

The Weaver of Grass said...

That sounds absolutely fantastic Heather. I just cannot draw and now that I shake (Benign Essential Tremor which runs in my family) it would be useless to try = typing is bad enough as I keep missing the keys. Do try and get that camera to computer fault fixed by your family so that we can see some of your work.

Penny said...

Sounds like a brilliant book. Since I haven't felt brilliant having shingles I too have been drawing daily in a small format. My sketches are not brilliant but keep me amused before the next pain killer sends me to sleep.

Gina said...

That sounds like an interesting little book x

Robin Mac said...

What a fascinating book that sounds, and how great that you are doing the sketches every day. I was never much good at drawing but I am worse than useless now that my sight is so poor. I hope you can get your camera/computer problem solved soon, I would love to see soe of your pictures.