I then went on to fasten my latest batch of machine embroidered trees to my Quarry piece. Do you think I've done enough? I've looked at it so much I can't see it any more but I think it is finished.
Then I allowed myself to play with the first page of my next project - the Sacred Herbs book. This first herb is mugwort. I don't think I had even heard of it until I started looking into the nine sacred herbs. It's astounding that between them these nine simple plants had the power to treat just about every illness known to man. Note that I said 'treat' and not 'cure', however, they must have done some good or they'd never have been so revered. I had already written the description of each herb and collected a few bits and pieces for decorating the pages. The colour here looks dismal but in fact is a light, warm beige with hints of soft green and dusty peach. I may add a small medallion at each corner if I can come up with something suitable. I have used my favourite automatic stitch with raised chain band worked over it as the edging, and will do the same for each page. The medieval text is a torn strip from a colour photocopy and the woodcut illustration is a black and white photocopy which I have aged with a Distress Ink pad whose colour is named Old Paper. I am not worried about copyright as I am making it for myself and it will never be sold. I think the next herb on the list is plantain - those lovely 'quilted' leaves.