Saturday 23 April 2011

Happy St. George's Day.

We have been quite lazy so far this weekend and have sat in the garden as much as possible, coming in to cool off now and then. I love this clematis and do my best to stop my husband pruning it each year. He does manage to cut some back but it is so lovely left to it's own devices. The birds like it as it almost covers the nest boxes on the wall and gives them extra shelter.

Aren't these unfurling fern fronds gorgeous? I discovered them when I retreated into the shade as it was too hot to sit in the sun. I hope it's a bit cooler tomorrow as there are so many jobs out there waiting to be done and seedlings in the greenhouse nearly climbing out of the seed tray.


I thought I'd get a quick picture of my best hosta before the slugs find it. I cheat and plant it in a large pot and top dress it with gravel. They still get to it by the end of the season but it looks good for quite a few weeks. May seems to have arrived in April and everything is shooting up and flowering all at once, and it actually felt more like August today.


I made the fairy shoes. I should have put a matchbox or some other small item beside them so you could picture how tiny they are - about 3" or 7cms long - smaller than the pixie boots. I don't think I chose the best material for them although it was good to work with, and would like to try another pair using organza and silk paper or some other lighter fabric. They look a bit too solid for fairy shoes - I must give it more thought before I start another pair.
Enjoy the rest of the weekend and make the most of this glorious weather while it lasts.





12 comments:

Totalfeckineejit said...

Ah, Heather the shoes are amazing, I'm sure a fairy would love them!Your garden too is amazing, the plants are so healthy, they must be happy with their keeper!
Happy St George's day to you!

Julie said...

The fairy shoes are delightful Heather. We have one of those clematis too and it's a picture. I have to confess to trimming it back myself throughout the growing season once it's flowered as it's a bit of a thug but the flowers are beautiful.

DIAN said...

Those fairy shoes are lovely. Beautiful enough for a special occasion - perhaps a royal wedding. I have made dozens of similar shoes but mine are in felt and half the size of the ones in the stitch magazine. I find them really relaxing to do.
The garden pics are great too. I love the unnfurling of fronds. It seems so mysterious some how.

The Bug said...

Love those shoes! They're just gorgeous - so sumptuous to me...

Our tomato seedlings are getting out of control, but it's still to soon to think of putting them outside. Maybe in about a month.

Anonymous said...

It was the same temperature here in North Bucks too, way too hot for me. Those shoes are exquisite!

Carol Q said...

our next door neighbours have that clematis too Heather. always enjoy it flowering over into our garden. the fairy shoes have turned out beautifully.

The Weaver of Grass said...

Those fairy shoes are EXQUISITE Heather - I want a pair (even if they don't fit my large feet!)

I was speaking to the man in the garden centre about slugs and hostas, as I was buying liquid slug stuff - he said they let their hens into their garden and they keep the slugs off the hostas - unfortunately they dig everything else up though!

WendyK said...

I have very small feet Heather !!!!!!
They are lovely. Your garden looks gorgeous as well.

Maggi said...

Lovely photos Heather. I am sure that a fairy godmother would love the shoes - one always needs something more substantial as one gets older!

Maureen said...

Love the fairy shoes, I envy you your talent for stitching Heather!!

Val said...

Beautiful photos of your garden Heather - thanks so much for sharing! Love love those fairy shoes though - but I can't tell what you made them from. Is it paper or fabric? They are just gorgeous!

Digitalgran said...

Your fairy shoes are lovely Heather and I also love your fern fronds!