Friday 5 August 2011

Exhibition at the Toll House Gallery, Clevedon.

The weeks have flown by and I haven't mentioned our - Gordano Textile Artists' - exhibition at the Toll House Gallery on Clevedon Pier. It has just started and runs throughout August. I had meant to post a photo of one of the posters but distributed them without doing so. We are having 'meet the artist' sessions each weekend and I am doing my stints on Saturday 13th and Sunday 21st between 11am and 3pm both days. I hope we get lots of visitors and will try to remember to take my camera with me on my days there. I haven't exhibited there before and am looking forward to seeing how our work looks there.

I had a lovely surprise this year when I noticed this agapanthus coming into flower. It had been growing in a pot for years and became so congested I took it out and divided it into four. That must have been 3 or 4 years ago and this is the first one to bloom. It's such a gorgeous blue. Perhaps the others will flower for me too.

I also split this double kingcup last spring and both halves looked very pathetic for such a long time. I had given up hope of flowers this year as they usually bloom so much earlier, but two days ago I saw these lovely pom-poms. Luckily Chester missed it when he took his dive!



I came upon this old wooden ladle in a very interesting shop in a little courtyard in Ledbury yesterday and thought it would look good hanging in the kitchen above my spice and herb cupboard.



I bought the little cupboard years ago when we were on holiday on the Isle of Wight. At that time all my spice and herb jars fitted beautifully on the three shelves inside. Recently the size of the jars has changed and now they are too tall. I still like the cupboard and will have to find an alternative use for it. Although it looks as if it has been around for hundreds of years I do realise it was probably made with suckers like me in mind, about a year before I bought it.






6 comments:

Maggi said...

Your agapanthus is beautiful. They love being congested so perhaps that is why it has taken so long for it to flower again. Don't you just hate it when they change the sizes of things - particularly chocolate bars which are all now much smaller but all the same price.

Ro Bruhn said...

I love the blue of the agapanthus, we have them all over the garden, they are considered a bit of a weed over here, spreading like wild fire, we also have a white one. I love your little spice cupboard.

Carol Q said...

at the risk of sounding like a recording device - I love the blue of the agapanthus too Heather! I've put a reminder on my outlook about the exhibition and might get to see it if the opportunity arises. I love that little cupboard of yours and would very happily give it a home whether it was brand new or hundreds of years old.

Anonymous said...

I agree with Maggi about the Agapanthus. It doesn't matter how old your cupboard is, it is pretty and useful. Regarding the new sizes of spice jars, could you not decant the new into the old?

Heather said...

Sadly I didn't keep the old jars Toffeeapple, and they looked a bit tatty so I threw them away. The new ones looked the same size and until I came to put them in the cupboard I didn't notice the difference.

Heather Woollove said...

Heather-If you don't mind ordering things online, there's a lovely spice company here in the US that sells wonderful spices, and also empty glass jars designed especially for spices in several different sizes. This way, you could just refill them as needed and they would fit! Here's the link: http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penzeys/p-penzeysjars.html XXO-