Friday 19 August 2011

Monoprinting 1.


Here are my attempts at Gina's monoprinting exercise - see her blog 'Fan My Flame'. I jotted down her instructions and was fooled by the seeming simplicity of them into thinking this would be a breeze. In fact, I found it quite difficult and haven't yet produced anything I'm pleased with.

I threw away my first two attempts. I used Galeria acrylic in a tube and that was far too thick. Then I tried Inscribe acrylic in those little bottles but that was too runny. (This sounds a bit like the tale of the three bears!) Then I had a go with an Adirondack acrylic paint dabber and just removed the dabber part to put a blob onto my plate. This worked better but did dry very fast.

I also drew my first two attempts with an old plastic knitting needle but found a biro far easier to use and it gave a better result. The ball point glides over the paper so smoothly.


I seem to have an echo going on here. I don't know how that occurred.

My ghost images are a little too ghostly even though I rubbed my hand over the plate quite firmly each time, and thought there was enough paint on the plate to begin with.

I shall rediscover them up by adding more colour to the background and to my design. To get a good result, I think a lot depends on the paper being used as well as the type of acrylic paint. I enjoyed trying this technique and have pressed several hopefully 'ribby' leaves to try out the next one.












11 comments:

Cda00uk said...

Adding a dollop of washing up liquid to the paint is meant to slow down the drying - but, even doing that, I've never got on with monoprinting. Inspired by Gina I'm trying to screw up my courage to have another go.

Maggi said...

They may not have turned out as you would have liked but you are least discovering things that work and those that don't, and also thinking of ways to develop them.

Twiggy said...

I like them, I think the image that you've drawn is very pretty. I haven't had a chance to do this yet and need to buy a roller. Well done for having a go.
twiggy

Maureen said...

You certainly are brave trying out all these new ideas Heather!!

Heather said...

Thankyou for your encouraging comments and for the tip about the washing up liquid Celia.

Lyn said...

I love mono printing and a couple of years ago I did it with my whole class 5-we did have fun though the tidying up was a nightmare!
xxx

The Weaver of Grass said...

What I admire about you, Heather, is the way you will have a go at anything. I get quite scared about new projects. I think I am better doing them at a class, where the teacher is taking me through step by step. Unfortunately I live out in the sticks and as I do not drive at present, classes are out of the question.

Heather said...

A short time ago I wouldn't have dreamt of showing my efforts to all and sundry. Maybe I am at last beginning to lose some of my inhibitions. Have a go Pat - no-one else need see what you do unless you want them to.

Carol Q said...

I think these have turned out okay Heather. You're right when you say you think some of these techniques are going to be easy and they turn out not to be. I spent a couple of hours trying to draw the other afternoon and ripped up the paper in anger at my pathetic efforts. PS - managed to get to Clevedon Pier on Tuesday. Some lovely work on show.

Wendy said...

If you can get your hands on some of the old fashioned tracing paper, you can 'mono-print' using that :)

Val said...

Yours turned out much better than mine Heather - my paint was much too thick and dried too fast. Must get some gel retarder (if that's the right name!)