Tuesday 20 November 2012

I'm still here!

I have resorted to good old knitting while I try to come up with an innovative textile idea for my next project.   Inspiration is in short supply so I might have to start another cardigan and have seen some gorgeous yarn but it is very expensive and I would be so disappointed if the garment didn't fit or suit me when I'd finished it.  I could always unpick and reknit of course.   We will see if temptation gets the better of me.
I am knitting these socks for someone who is very disabled with MS and doesn't wear shoes any more but needs to keep her feet warm.   I love the instant cheat's Fair Isle pattern which appears - pity it only works on short rows.
This is another colourway of the wool used in the picture above - I seem to have blurred it and apologise for not noticing sooner.    I have never made socks on two needles before and it seems rather strange.  I prefer the four needle method but couldn't find a pattern and was too impatient to start work to look very far.

It's very wet and grey today so no gardening although, goodness knows, there is plenty to tidy up out there.   I'm sure it will wait for me.

9 comments:

The Bug said...

Pretty! I want to learn how to crochet socks - we'll see how successful I am :)

Anonymous said...

I wondered why there seemed to be a seam at the foot, or is that to do with the yarn as well? The second pair look just like Fair Isle, don't they?

Carol Q said...

ooh Heather, these are right up my street. it is that time of year isn't it? is that Regia you've used?

Ro Bruhn said...

Love the socks, your friend should be very happy with these.

Heather said...

The bright stripey socks are knitted in Regia yarn Carol, and the 'Fair Isle' ones in Superba Bamboo.

Gina said...

The socks look lovely. Happy to send you a basic four needle pattern that works with the Regia wool Heather?

The Weaver of Grass said...

Love that knitting wool Heather. It is so grey and miserable here that the farmer has come in out of the rain and put his slippers on - at 10am!

sharon young said...

Love the socks, Heather and the wool is gorgeous

Linda Vincent said...

Well they're fab Heather....I especially like the middle ones. Clever you! xx