Above is the first of the two blocks I made. I cut a piece of card from the backing of a sketchbook, as advised by the lady in the art shop who had sold out of the thick card I had gone in to buy. She said it was practically the same thing. I followed the instructions to the letter but found that even with the rollers of the machine on their widest setting, I couldn't persuade my sandwich of paper, felt and card to go through so actually made all my prints without the felt. On this block I stuck a scrap of jute scrim, one of fine scrim some thread, a lace motif and some punched paper shapes.
I suppose they have worked reasonably well for a first attempt - it is the first time I have met a pasta machine too! I think the paint was a bit too runny and I shall try using better quality paper next - these have been done on ordinary sketchbook paper.
Having made it, and even though I know it's too thick, I thought I would see how this one turned out. This time I printed onto good watercolour paper and got better results even without the felt again.
I like the subtlety of the shapes cut with a paper punch and wondered if they would show up at all as they are quite thin compared to other textured bits. On this block I stuck a small feather, some rug canvas along the bottom, scraps of lace at the top, a piece of wool, a piece of torn textured paper and the punched paper flower shapes. It is easy to see how one might suggest a simple landscape with these little bits and pieces.
The only drawback is that it takes ages for the glue/medium to dry completely to apply the scraps to the card, and you have to use two coats, then apply varnish when they are both dry and that takes even longer to dry, and I am impatient to try again. Back to the drawing board - I may be gone for some time!