Friday 18 July 2014

Drastic measures.

Our poor white lilac is overshadowed by a tall wooden fence and the conifers you can see in the background here.  It had become very straggly and the few flowers that we had this year were nearly all at the top.  I asked my husband if he thought it might be a good idea to cut it back quite drastically after flowering.  As he loves cutting things down he was very happy to oblige, and only a few weeks later we see lovely fresh new shoots sprouting all over it.   I wonder if it will bear flowers next spring or will we have to be patient? 

Elsewhere in the garden I am enjoying these gorgeous day lilies.  They are so velvety and such a wonderful colour - much richer than it appears here.

We have a classic stone birdbath but also a fibreglass imitation stone pool one which stands on the lawn.  When lifted to cut the grass today one of the residents was at home - sometimes there are two or three under it.  Feast on all the slugs little fellow.

A favourite visitor is this lovely thrush.  It was years before any came into the garden and I am so pleased that they have become regular visitors and that we sometimes get two or three at a time.  I have seen adults and young ones together so I imagine they must have nested close by.

Progress on the rune book is slow but steady.  It is taking ages to do all that machine stitching on each page but I think it is worthwhile.  It has been such a long time since I did any machine embroidery and I am very much out of practice but it is buying me time to work out how to make the runes themselves.

The heat and humidity have slowed me right down this week and I have hibernated when possible.  Last night's thunderstorm was interesting.  Some areas must have had a real humdinger but it wasn't very noisy here though the lightning was spectacular and it has been more comfortable today.

Shall I machine another page background or shall I just have a cuppa?  Maybe I shall do both.

5 comments:

Ro Bruhn said...

Thank you for the tip about the lilac, I have one in a similar condition but was worried about cutting it back, I might give it a try now after seeing yours. Love the colour of the day lily.

Maggi said...

I'm sure that your lilac will flourish now that it has been pruned back hard. Wish I had some frogs to eat my slugs.

The Weaver of Grass said...

My son just rang to see how the farmer fared at the hospital yesterday. He is down your way, collecting his son from Bristol University. He says it is very humid and there was a storm in the night. Heavy rain has just started here.

Gina said...

Your garden always looks lovely Heather and what beautiful machine stitching! We had lightning but no thunder last night too. Not much cooler today though.

Carol Q said...

your books coming on beautifully Heather. love your garden photos as usual. hmmm - perhaps we should try that with our white lilac too - it's very old and woody. I have some orange day lillies but I love the colour of yours. very humid here but no rain at the mo!