The front cover of my rune book with the word 'runes' spelt out in runic lettering made from Friendly Plastic. I may bring up the texture with a little copper gilding cream.
This is the back cover. The runes included in the book are Anglo Saxon ones taken from a sword found in the River Thames in the 19th Century. The cover is made from pelmet vilene and has scraps of lace and muslin randomly stitched in place, then gesso painted on top and sprayed with Quink ink with a further spray of blue Glimmer Mist and copper Moon Shadow Mist. I lined it with a buff mottled cotton fabric and bound the edges with copper ribbon.
Each label carries the name of the rune, it's meaning and the letter it represents but unfortunately the book I was using had incomplete information for two or three of them and I can find nothing about them so far in any other books so I have left a blank space to be filled later.
I had great fun thinking up the various heads, tails and feet for each character. Originally I wanted to make them more sinuous but in doing so I lost the true shape of the rune, so I tried to keep the shape and just add the heads and tails.
I now have to bind each group of pages into the cover and am waiting for courage to arrive to make a start. I have measured and marked where the stitching should be placed and will be interested to see whether the pages will all lie together evenly when I have done it! Wish me luck.