Wednesday 2 April 2014

It's Addictive!

You may remember I bought myself one of these recently.  I have at last had time to play with it and am in danger of filling the house with sheets of printed paper - there are quite a few more that I haven't photographed - I can't leave it alone.
Above are some of the things I have used to make my prints.  I find the wooden Indian printing blocks give excellent results and scraps of lace are pretty good too.  I like the cog shaped thing also, but have no idea what it is.  It came off something which had been broken.   I think the plastic comb came out of a Christmas cracker years ago and is perfect for creating swirling wavey lines.

My first attempt was far from excellent - probably because I used the cheap craft acrylic paint which comes in plastic bottles.

I quickly switched to the better stuff in tubes and found an improvement.

I even plucked up the courage to do a bit of doodling around the lace prints on these two.

With my late summer course with Frances Pickering in mind (the theme is black and white) I introduced leaves this time and used black paint.

Finally, I used two dabs of yellow and one of blue paint and an unwashed brayer still with black paint on it.  I rather like the dark colouring.  I quickly drew the design on the left and used a little fabric doiley for the one on the right.
Nothing is now safe from being pressed onto a painted Gelli plate if I think it will make an interesting pattern! There should be a warning with these things.

10 comments:

Carol Q said...

I did laugh when I read your blog title Heather. I'm not at all surprised. You look like you are having great fun!

The Weaver of Grass said...

Heather, your fast progress is obvious from these photographs. Goodness knows where it will end!

Julie said...

That's it now, Heather. Totally lost but you're going to have so much fun! Enjoy!

Ro Bruhn said...

It is so addictive, I was using mine yesterday. The cardboard roll from cling wrap etc also makes great circles. I love your wooden stamps, they work really well.
Supermarkets here sell store baked cakes on plastic plates that have fabulous designs on them, it's worth buying them just for the plates, they are my most used object.

Linda Vincent said...

Your prints got better and better... all good, but I loved the last two.

You made me laugh with the thought of them decorating your house...... ;-)

sharon young said...

Wow! Heather you really are having a great time with the plates I absolutely love the black and yellow one with the trees, it looks so evocative.

Crafty Green Poet said...

lovely prints and it looks like great fun!

Maggi said...

You are on a downward path I'm afraid. Once addicted there is now way back. Love the black and white ones.

The Bug said...

These are great! You're so creative...

Charlton Stitcher said...

I love the amazing movement in some of these - those swirls are just fantastic!