Wednesday 30 April 2014

You may remember this.

Having crocheted all these squares, edged them in blue and sewn them all together, I realised that I wasn't going to have enough to complete my waistcoat.   I thought a row of solid blue ones down each front edge might look alright but I didn't like it at all.

There was only one thing to do, so I unpicked everything and my squares look like this once more.  I have recycled all the blue wool and am knitting it into another waistcoat and have bought another hank of the multi-coloured yarn to make more squares.  I certainly get maximum recreational value from the yarns I buy!  I know I have done the right thing as I will like the garment much better without the contrasting edging and get far more use out of it.  It has kept me out of mischief for hours and the owner of the wool shop will be happy as I will need more blue wool to finish the knitted waistcoat.

It has been good to come home from my daily walk and sit for half an hour to recover with my crochet or knitting.   I am trying to banish the lethargy, which has been plaguing me for some time,with small doses of activity and hadn't realised how unfit I had become since straining a leg muscle back in January.  It made walking very uncomfortable but I am gradually getting my feet and legs to do what they are supposed to.

I am astounded by the amount of growth that the plants have put on - mainly weeds!   I spent an hour or so out there this afternoon and removed loads, though there are still plenty more to be dealt with.   I hope the frosts forecast for the weekend don't damage the fruit blossom.

8 comments:

The Bug said...

Love that multicolored yarn! I've been doing the same thing - I unraveled the same beginning row three times yesterday before I got it right :)

ferinn said...

All that work,I admire your persistence I'd have thrown it aside! Hope your walks will get you back to fitness,nothing worse than not being able to do what you want.Enjoy the Holiday weekend.

ferinn said...

All that work,I admire your persistence I'd have thrown it aside! Hope your walks will get you back to fitness,nothing worse than not being able to do what you want.Enjoy the Holiday weekend.

The Weaver of Grass said...

I am full of both wonderment and praise for your patience. Unpicking all that work and starting again Heather! I have several projects which were not working out and which are now in bags in the work room/office - I studiously ignore them;

Heather said...

I must have a mean streak as I couldn't bear the thought of wasting all that money and finishing up without anything worthwhile. You know of course, that the weather will turn so warm that woollen waistcoats will not be needed!!

Maggi said...

Well done for going with your instincts, regardless of the extra time and effort that it will involve. You'll be so much happier with it when it's finished and, if the weather is too warm, you will be able to look forward to bringing it out after the summer.

Carol Q said...

well done for sticking with it Heather and not giving. many would. doesn't take long for the fitness levels to drop off does it if you stop exercising or being active regularly. glad you are slowly getting up to speed again.

sharon young said...

I always feel better when the decision is made to undo something that's not working, and in this case you had to do it to find out it didn't work.
I know your finished waistcoat will be gorgeous when it's done, it's such a pretty wool.
Glad your leg is getting better, it's so nice to be getting out a bit more now, in some sunshine too.