Monday 14 April 2014

It's all happening!

Walking round the garden over the weekend it seemed to me as if everything is bursting forth and plants that don't normally flower until May are already coming into bloom.  I love the little blossoms on our crab apple tree and the way that they gradually fade from deep pink to almost white as they develop.

Another favourite is this red sycamore.   For weeks I watch the twigs for signs of those little red buds and suddenly the weather warms up and they have popped to reveal these golden sprays of tiny flowers.

When I got out of the car in the drive this morning I found myself looking straight down into these yellow tulips.  I love their centres with that little ring of black diamond shapes.

 The angelica has shot up in such a short time and is already taller than me.   It's lower leaves are shading my rosemary which fortunately is in a pot so I can move it into the sun.

The kingcups are beginning to go over so I must make the most of them.  They have been in flower for almost a month.  I divided one plant into two the year before last - it looks as if I need to divide them again!


I am intrigued by the theory that planting and sowing seeds on a waxing moon gives better results and put it to the test recently.  It seems to work and most of the seeds I sowed just over a week ago have all germinated - those that haven't are the long winded ones which take three or four weeks anyway.  I have sunflower and courgette seedlings on the kitchen windowsill getting larger each day, so I need to get outside and do some weeding to make room for them.  It's my favourite way of giving myself the incentive to go and do some serious gardening!

I hope this lovely weather lasts a bit longer - there is plenty to do out there.

14 comments:

Julie said...

Your crab apple blossom is very pretty. I always think of my friend Grace when I see crab apples as she used to like to make crab apple jelly. Our garden is going a bit mad now too and things that havn't moved for years seem to be spreading. I can't wait for the lilac to come into flower.

Crafty Green Poet said...

it all looks lovely!

Robin Mac said...

Lovely photos of your garden heather. I hope the weather continues to be kind for you. We are hoping for fine weather over Easter to be able to do some gardening also. Cheers

Maggi said...

Lovely photos heather. Your garden is certainly blooming well. I can't believe that my roses are already in bud.

Gordano Textile Artists said...

Lovely Photos Heather.
I do the sowing by the moon [but only when convenient] and I was told things that have an above ground crop sow on the waxing moon - and things that have an underground crop sow on the waning moon - and avoid the few days either side of a full and no moon - but I sowed some peas yesterday! Now to do some sewing! Deryll

Gordano Textile Artists said...

Lovely Photos Heather.
I do the sowing by the moon [but only when convenient] and I was told things that have an above ground crop sow on the waxing moon - and things that have an underground crop sow on the waning moon - and avoid the few days either side of a full and no moon - but I sowed some peas yesterday! Now to do some sewing! Deryll

Sara lechner said...

wonderful spring! today I went to the Japan Garden in Buenos Aires in a sunny day just to knit looking at the lake... we have autumn here and this made me forget!

Ro Bruhn said...

It's lovely to see spring flowers as we are in autumn, although summer keeps trying to hang on. My father had a magnificent vegetable garden and he always planted by the moon.

Carol Q said...

your garden must be looking lovely Heather. hasn't the weather been gorgeous so far this week. I might be MIA for a few weeks - got some essays to write as part of a work related course - it's like pulling teeth!

Gina said...

That crab apple blossom is so beautiful. In fact the blossom everywhere is beautiful at the moment. It is such a perfect time of year. (I can leave a comment today!!!)

Robin Mac said...

I thought I had left a comment a few days ago, but blogger must have swallowed it up! Your garden is looking beautiful. I hope the weather is staying kind for you for the Easter break so you can enjoy some more days in the garden. Cheers

sharon young said...

What a gorgeous trip round your garden, Heather, thanks so much for sharing it with us.

Linda Vincent said...

You have such a great garden Heather, your photos are lovely!
We used to grow angelica; I love the smell but I never knew what to do with it. Do you crystallise yours?

The Weaver of Grass said...

re your comment on my blog about your husband leaving a trail of dirt wherever he goes - you should try being married to a farmer - straw, and worse, everywhere (at least you can smell the 'and worse' and track it down easily!)