Friday 15 July 2011

Flower Festival - Part 2.

We walked through this archway to the Cathedral which is just beyond this lovely old building. It is a rather chilling spot as it reminds people of Bishop Hooper who was burned at the stake here by order of Mary Tudor, who is said to have watched from the window above the arch. Nice lady.

Looking through the same arch from the other direction you can just make out Bishop Hooper's memorial statue.



This was the first display to catch my eye on entering the Cathedral and I believe it was made by pupils of the Diocesan schools. It was beautiful and quite large.


A very traditional and striking arrangement surrounding a group of old photographs of local dignitaries.

I loved this very natural looking little garden created by a local nursery. It looks as if everything is just growing out of the floor.


I like the deep colours of this swag which decorates the plaque commemorating the life and work of local composer Ivor Gurney who had also been a Cathedral chorister.


One of my 'can't resist' photos. I am fascinated by these ancient battle colours which are so tattered they are almost like net in places.


This arrangement complete with little coracle, represents the Slimbridge Wildlife and Wetlands and is one of my favourite exhibits. I love the inclusion of the water birds.


Tucked in a rather dark alcove was this wild and natural arrangement representing the Forest of Dean.


This represents the Dymock poets who used to stay in the village of Dymock - mostly between the two world wars I believe. Dymock is famous for it's Daffodil Trail in the spring, when the fields and roadsides are brightened with drifts of the little wild daffodils.


If I was clever, I would know how to post these two pics side by side to create a whole.

But sadly I am not, so you will have to manage with two halves.


My eye was caught by this rather lovely modern stained glass window - nothing to do with floral arrangements but too good to leave out.



This colour wheel arrangement round the font was stunning - you can just catch sight of blue flowers on the left of the pedestal as the colours continue to change. Members of the Mothers Union created these arrangements.


The font itself is rather splendid. It is made of lead, Norman and dates from about 1130.

.

The Festival was a marvellous event and brought many visitors to the Cathedral. It is sad to think that all these beautiful floral decorations will have been taken away by Sunday, but thousands of photographs will have been taken to record it all.

5 comments:

Heather said...

In my haste to take photos without holding other visitors up, I hadn't noticed that the names of the Dymock poets are written on the little gate. Pity my photo isn't clear enough to read them all.

Julie said...

This was an exceptional exhibition on all fronts Heather. I feel the same as you about the aged banners Heather. I think I have a similar ohoto from ely Cathedral. Thank you for including the stained glass window, it is so beautiful and I like the way the tree outside is echoing the painted glass, or is it the other way round!

DIAN said...

I too love the stained glass window - it is good to see the inclusion of a modern piece in such a traditional setting.

The flowers are gorgeous of course - I couldn't pick out a favourite.

Thanks again for sharing this outing, being far away in Australia I am not likely to be back to the UK any time soon.

Carol Q said...

lovely collection of photos Heather. as you say, it's a shame it's not going to be around for very long.

Doohie said...

Some lovely displays and what a fantastic ceiling.I hope to see that some day.