Sunday 23 September 2012

A wet and dreary Sunday.

The perfect overnight guest who brings her own bed and bedding!  She likes to organise the bedding herself and is most particular about it's arrangement which means lots of scrabbling and trampling before it is just right.  We had a lovely walk yesterday afternoon in sunshine but this morning we both got quite wet though Poppy minded less than I did.   I had hoped to do more gardening today but the moment I set foot outside the backdoor it started raining and hasn't stopped since.  Good job I made the most of yesterday and even sat outside knitting later in the day though I did need a jacket on.

It's hard to believe that only a few days ago we were down in Somerset enjoying beautiful sunshine, and this was the reason for our visit.    I had picked up this booklet from Nature in Art two or three weeks earlier, not thinking that we would actually be going to Somerset.  The booklets themselves are very interesting, and I love looking at all the different types of art people are producing.  As I was leafing through the pages I spotted my tutor's name - Viv White - and realised that she wasn't as far away from us as I had imagined.
She lives in a delightful cottage in a lovely rural location and her visitors are in for a treat - her walls were covered with wonderful pieces of work featuring various types of birds, animals and trees.  We were spoilt with tea, coffee and delicious homemade flapjacks.
I bought several cards - the one above is a photo of a larger piece which I fell in love with and there were others in similar vein but this was my favourite.
I am well stocked up with cards but usually can't bear to part with them so my stock is growing!
I love these willows and the subtly collaged background.
I seem to have blurred this photo - again the background is collaged and the willows are machine stitched.
This lovely fabric cover conceals an A6 drawing book which can be slipped out when full and a new one put in it's place.   I couldn't resist it and when I came to pay for it Viv very generously gave it to me saying she gave a little sketch book to her students. 

 I have slipped behind a bit with my coursework so a bit of wet weather will give me a chance to catch up.  At this time of year when we get a lovely day it seems such a waste to spend time indoors.

Hope you are somewhere warm and dry today - I could do with the heating on but will make myself wait one more week. 

10 comments:

Linda Vincent said...

Poppy is incredibly cute.... I want to give her a hug :-)
And what a treat it must have been to visit Viv; I would have loved to have been there with you.....
XX

The Weaver of Grass said...

The rain has not reached here yet Heather - it is forecast though and already at 6pm it is almost dark and the hens have gone to bed.
I collect cards I like, too, and like you I then can't bear to part with them.

Maggi said...

Poppy looks so cosy in there.
How lovely to be able to meet your tutor and what lovely cards you purchased. Glad you are feeling motivated to get on with your sketchbook again. We didn't get the rain until late afternoon so gardening was a priority while the fine weather lasted.

Jane said...

You have more self-control than me Heather, I sneaked the heating on yesterday.

Mags said...

I have the electric fire on and off during the day but have rested putting the heating on just yet.
Poppy looks relaxed. I did spot of dog sitting too. Two spaniel pups!

Carol Q said...

How good to be able to get a chance to meet your tutor Heather and pick up some artwork too. Love your book cover. The weather has been vile hasn't it - I got soaked this morning and have had wet feet at work all day lol. I've been a wuss and we have the heating on.

WendyK said...

It looks as if you had a lovely visit Heather. Love the cards and book. I might surprise you one day, and pop down to see you.

Robin Mac said...

How lucky to be able to meet your tutor, and what lovely cards you have brought away. I too have a collection of cards I can't bear to part with, but they are fun to look through. I wish we could have just a little bit of the rain you are having - we are never happy, are we. Cheers.

Crafty Green Poet said...

I'm like you with cards, i can't bear to give them away!

I love the idea of sitting outside knitting, even though i can't knit!

Gina said...

What a fabulous selection of cards you have.