Friday 26 April 2013

A lovely lazy day.

I spent much of today with our youngest daughter and as it was such a nice day we took her dog for a walk. This little wooded area is in the middle of quite a large development of houses.   We both think that the tree above needs a statue to fill that niche, or perhaps a narrow studded oak door.

We were both surprised to see bluebells already in flower, but they were in a sheltered corner.  The colour is washed out here but in reality they are such a glorious blue.

This gorgeous peacock butterfly very kindly kept it's wings open for me.  I can't tell you the number of times I have tried to photograph them in the garden and they are off before I can focus the camera.

I was curious to see if there was anything of interest on the other side of the road so we walked through the underpass to get a better look at this lovely rural scene - pity about the pylon in the distance.   There is a tarmac path which ends abruptly at the hedge in the foreground.   Very odd.

This little bit of tangled woodland was just off to the right of the first view.   I am so pleased that these small areas of unspoiled countryside still exist even though they are so close to a main road and a very large housing estate.

After lunch we enjoyed a bit of playtime.   Julia worked on a painting she had already begun and I experimented with collaging various papers onto artists canvas.   I plan to use paint and or ink to create a subtle background onto which I would like to add either a drawing or perhaps a piece of stitched work.  If this comes to anything I'll let you know.   If it doesn't, I'll keep quiet about it!

9 comments:

Julie said...

Lovely way to spend time with your daughter Heather and lovely to see real signs of Spring at last.

sharon young said...

What a lovely day, it's so nice to spend time with your children, especially when you have similar interests.
Lovely pics of your walk, I felt as if I 'd come with you.

The Weaver of Grass said...

Lovely photographs Heather. I am not sure I know the phrase 'lazy day'! I think that tree looks as though it wants a small creature to make its house there - do you know the book 'the Little Grey Men' by BB - this would make an ideal home for Sneezewort or Cloudberry if it had that little wooden studded door you suggest.

Ro Bruhn said...

What a lovely way to spend a day, especially with your daughter. I can smell the bluebells from here, we have the large Spanish ones in Oz that are very showy, but have very little perfume.

Maggi said...

A lovely way to spend a day and to find the signs of spring are finally revealing themselves.

Carol Q said...

pleased to see there are still some butterflies about Heather. You are lucky that you are your daughter share the same artistic/craft interests.

Maureen said...

Catching up at last on the blogs Heather, I know what you mean about being prepared - I'm just the same - trouble is when I make cards early for a workshop it takes some remembering what i did when the time comes around.

The Bug said...

What a lovely day! I like wandering around country places too...

Jackie said...

Its surprising how many little oases you can find in built up areas. Yesterday I went a walk with my Mum through a little wood that my friend and I used to love when were little. I was amazed to find it still relatively intact despite the new houses along its edges. (And there were no nasty people there and Hetty was off her lead..thanks for your comment. )I love the peacock butterfly. I haven't seen many of those.