Saturday 19 March 2016

Sorry - No Pics.

I had intended to take a  photo of the beautiful and delicious coffee and walnut cake that one of my daughters made for my birthday recently.   Most of the family popped in to wish me well and I am afraid the ravening horde descended on the cake and there are only crumbs left.   It was so good.

We fetched my husband home from hospital yesterday.  He is still quite weak but installed in front of the TV watching the rugby match between England and France.   I have had quite enough excitement lately and can't cope with any more tension so have come to hide upstairs with my laptop.  I daresay I will creep down shortly to see how things are going, rather as one of daughters did when watching the Daleks on Dr.Who!   She was so scared of them she would back out of the room with her eyes stilled glued to the TV screen, closing the door as she went, and would peep through a tiny crack so as not to miss anything.

Twenty four hours ago I had never seen a nebuliser or a portable oxygen machine, and after finding them rather scary and daunting I am now far more confident in using them though we did have two false starts with the nebuliser.  (Is that the right spelling?).  I had so much information given to me that my head was spinning, but most of it must have sunk in and there were some printed instructions with diagrams, though they never seem to look exactly like the thing you are trying to fathom out.  It all seems to be working as my husband has been pottering about for a few minutes every now and then throughout the day and has started eating 'proper' food.   A very satisfactory first day at home.

I'd better go and see if England need me to cheer them on.   Fingers crossed they can manage on their own.

10 comments:

Penny said...

No need for pictures, the cake sounds delicious. It all sounds so stressful but glad your husband is home and I am sure you will look after him magnificently.

Ro Bruhn said...

Happy Birthday Heather, I hope it wasn't too stressful having to deal with the medical dramas with your husband, and hope he's well on the way to a speedy recovery.

sharon young said...

So glad your husband is finally home Heather, I'm sure his recovery will speed up now he's in his home surroundings. Happy birthday, the walnut cake sounds amazing.

The Weaver of Grass said...

It was so exciting at the rugby match that I could hardly bear to watch - but so good that they have won at last.
Glad to hear that Dick is home. Now he needs sunshine and warmth to help him regain his strength.

Gina said...

Good to hear your husband is back home x

Heather said...

Thank you to you all. I went down to see how England were getting on at halftime, after which I decided that perhaps I'd put a jinx on them so retreated once more. That seemed to do the trick.
Dick has begun to eat regularly and actually asked for a second slice of toast and honey this morning. He's not good about eating vegetables so I added four or five different ones to last night's cottage pie, which he loves.
One of our sons-in-law has supplied him with a bell so that he can call me easily when I am elsewhere in the house. It is a cow bell but at least I don't have to wear it!

Vagabonde said...

I enjoyed reading your post. Your walnut birthday cake sounds very yummy. My 76th birthday is next Saturday but both our daughters live too far away (one in Nashville and the other in Pittsburgh) so I doubt I’ll get a birthday cake (my husband has Alzheimer and does not cook anything.) I am pleased your husband is doing well. Here, in Georgia, we never see rugby on the Tele, but I feel lucky that I can watch the Tour de France on it in July.

Gordano Textile Artists said...


That is such good news ,Heather .I hope he continues to improve.Thank you for your kind message.I'm doing okay,got out in the garden to do some tidying today,very therapeutic .Jenn x

Lyn said...

I am very behind in my blog reading....I am glad your husband is on the mend. Hope he goes from strength to strength ( and so glad Englad won the Grand Slam! Xxx

Carol Q said...

Heather, so sorry to hear about your husband. I'm hardly reading blogs these days so missed your post. Glad to hear you have him back home and that he's improving. I expect being home helps with that and having the care of his family. May his recovery continue!