Saturday 5 March 2011

Button Babes.

On her blog 'Fan my Flame', Gina Ferrari featured some of these little brooches after a workshop she had given and I have stolen her idea - thankyou Gina and I hope you don't mind! I don't know exactly how Gina made hers so made mine from guesswork. I'm not sure about my first attempt but do like the hair. I made the body from a piece of woollen scarf embellished onto felt and then buttonhole stitched round the edge.

I think the shape of this one is better. The bodies of these were made from a piece of knitting with variegated wool, embellished onto felt. I made a template and drew it on the back of the felt, machined round the shape on the reverse and then zigzagged round it on the front before cutting it out. I like this better. The arms and legs in both cases are made from handmade cords and when complete, a pin will be sewn on the back.

Above, is the weekend's homework. Just as well as it is still jolly chilly outside and I need the sun to come out before I do any gardening! I'm off to sort through my button box to find some 'faces' while the light is still good enough to choose colours.

6 comments:

The Bug said...

These are really cute - what a clever idea!

Totalfeckineejit said...

Ha ha! I likes them ! You is cool!

Carol Q said...

Gina's little fellas are great aren't they Heather? These are just as fab and a great variation!

Elizabeth said...

These are so cute, really lovely.

Gina said...

Hi Heather, I can't reply to your comment via email but I just thought I'd let you know on here that I don't mind! I think they look great! Gina x

Maggi said...

Lovely, such a clever idea.