Tuesday 15 February 2011

Book cover and other bits.

I've had a lovely time stitching along the lengths of sari ribbon and then adding sequins. It is done very spontaneously - nothing was measured and I just placed things by eye. Looking at parts of it now, I must have very wonky eyes!
The camera has somehow deadened the effect and as I look at the real thing beside me, it shines and glitters in the light and the colours are so vibrant.

Our youngest daughter loves it so when she decides which book she wants to cover, I will make it fit.

I have some gold fabric with a metallic thread in it which will make the perfect lining and have in mind to make a slip on cover with the top and bottom edges bound with the same gold fabric.



At Christmas I received a tiny embroidery from Sara Lechner and she included an extra little face drawn onto the fabric label which came with it. I thought I would try my hand at incorporating it into a little piece of work and came up with this. I used the bonded paper napkin to felt technique, cut out one of the tulips and cut out the centre to make room for the face before hand stitching the hair and machining it all onto the background. Sara's designs are all exquisite - I think I have a long way to go.

My next project is inspired by this yarn which I must have had for at least 10years! I fell in love with it then couldn't think how to use it. I have an idea to create a background from woven strips of organza in rainbow colours and stitch onto it in a twisted coiled shape reminiscent of a Celtic knot design. The coiled part will be worked in running stitches using the rainbow yarn. Maybe!
.
All my talk of spring was obviously premature - it has been so cold today and inspite of central heating I was forced to do some baking this afternoon to keep warm! Now I shall have to eat the fruits of my labours. What hardship!




13 comments:

Gina said...

That will make a beautiful book cover Heather.

Nancy said...

I am so glad I found your blog; it's beautiful and full of wonderful creations......

Love this fabric you made for a book cover. It will be fantastic......

The Weaver of Grass said...

I knew that book cover would be a winner heather.

Carol Q said...

the book cover is so vibrant Heather. crazy quilting is on my list of things to try and this is very similar. doesn't that Sarah Lechner face look gorgeous peeping out from the tulips. lovely, delicate stitching.

Michala Gyetvai (Kayla coo) said...

Beautiful work.x

Jensters said...

So beautiful and i love the persons head out of the tulip.

Nutty Gnome said...

Lovely book cover Heather - I've just used some sari fabric to make curtains but that's not in the same league as your book cover!

Silvia-Maria said...

Wunderschöne Arbeiten,schöer Blog.
Liebe Grüße aus Österreich
Silvia-Maia

sweetypie said...

only just discovered your blog---LOVE IT, LOVE IT LOVE IT, CONSIDER ME A FOLLOWER!and a great bookcover.

Sara lechner said...

I love where you put my little face!!:-)

Jane said...

Lovely colours for your book cover, Heather and delightful tulip with face.

Val said...

Your Book Cover looks a real treat Heather - and I just love the tulip piece - absolute magic! You are so creative.

Maggi said...

The stitching looks so lovely and will make a fantastic book cover. The colours in the yarn are just so beautiful and subtle. Sorry to hear about your hardship, it is so tough eating home baking!!