Wednesday 9 February 2011

Waste not, want not!

I cut and trimmed the other piece made from sari ribbon strips into squares and had some bits left over. Being a thrifty sort, I stitched these together to form another piece which you can see above. The stitching is very rough and needs more purposeful stitching to integrate the scraps - I will probably do this by hand. I bought the necklace from one of those cheap and nasty shops that sometimes has good things, and like the look of it against this background. The beads are a mix of metal glass, and are more colourful than the photo suggests - lovely amber and coppery shades with a few deep reds. The chain has the look of antiqued brass and there are leaf and apple shaped 'charms' here and there. I shall have a great time taking it all apart and working out which bits to use, but before I get that far ahead I must decide what I will make. Whatever it becomes, it might have an historical flavour and I would like to incorporate one or two ideas from the free online lessons which go with Maggie Grey's and Isobel Hall's latest book - 'Mixed Media - New Studio Techniques'.
.
I woke up feeling very lack-lustre this morning and soon became bored with that. I fetched the wheelbarrow and gardening tools and made a start on tidying the front garden. It's my favourite cure for 'dodgy' mornings and works every time for me providing the weather is co-operative and was my first gardening session of the year. I ran out of puff before I had been all the way round the garden but still managed to gather up two barrow loads of weeds and dead bits and have certainly done the bulk of it. The garden looks better and I feel better but I suppose you'd have to enjoy gardening for it to be effective. Assuming your days are not already mapped out for you, do any of you have a tried and tested remedy for dodgy mornings?

7 comments:

The Weaver of Grass said...

I always feel ashamed about dodgy mornings Heather as I always feel mine are purely psychological. A call from a friend, a visitor, anything like that and I am instantly cured.

Maggi said...

Amazing how something that doesn't shine on its own does so when surrounded by things that go so well with it. I counteract my dodgy mornings by switching off the radio and putting the music on - loud!

Sara lechner said...

I like very much the different sizes of the squares and the random feeling to it. I'm curious about the use of the metal pearls and pieces..I don't have many dodgy mornings in Alicante now, the weather is heaven and you always feel happy the moment you open the shutters!

jamell1 said...

Glad others have dodgy mornings. Planning something nice helps. and a cuddle from the cat. And I sing to the bugies much to my husbands delight, chuckle, works for me . By the way I loved your groups shells they were delightful and with a little gift tag attached would be such lovely little gifts to friends. any more wonerful ideas? judie.

Carol Q said...

lovely Heather - it reminds me of fields seen from the air.

Val said...

Love your sari ribbon piece Heather - and all that hand stitching. Will certainly nmake a gorgeous book cover! Thanks for dropping by ...

Linda Vincent said...

This looks great! Such lovely colours complementing each other....
I've been using sari silks for my latest spirit cloth. Hopefully I'll get a photo on my blog tomorrow.