Monday 21 October 2019

A bit more playtime.


I am still looking for more ideas to fill the pages of my needlework fabric book, and in the meantime have started a different project.   Above is the cover decoration for a journal-cum-scrapbook based on Nature.   The little plaque at the bottom reads: For the love of Nature.  I found the photo in a copy of the magazine Landscape.  There was overlapping text in the top right corner which I cut out and filled with a tiny photo of a woodpecker.  I am not going to sell the book so copyright will not be a problem.   I placed a small frayed piece of green silk under the left of the photo and added narrow strips of textured paper along the other two sides.   The main background is a slightly larger piece of Khadi paper over a coarse frayed golden fabric.  I added a large leaf button top left and a small tassel made from the pulled threads pulled out from fraying the coarse fabric.  I wrote the words in fine brown pen, cut them out and fixed them behind the little metal plaque with metal brads.  It is rather dull today so I hope my photo will be clear enough.

This made me think of my Mother who would always ask 'What's it for?' when she saw the samples I made during my time at college.  So Mum, this book will be for the love of Nature!

I haven't worked out quite how to tackle the cover but it will be made from tea dyed cotton sheeting over a base of firm cardboard.  The decoration will be glued in place when the cover is made and all the pages have been stitched in.   The pages are just A4 sheets of tea dyed copy paper stitched together in pairs and folded in half to give A5 size.  I would like it to have a rustic look and ideas are all stewing around in my head. 

This is a new departure for me and will be quite a time in the making, but I look forward to finding lots of beautiful and interesting photos to fill it and maybe there will be snippets of poetry added too.

5 comments:

crafty cat corner said...

I'm loving this. I started a needlework journal and have the pages upstairs. This makes me want to get it out and finish it. I just love it.
Briony
x

The Weaver of Grass said...

'what's it for?' rings a bell with my mother too Heather - something to do I suppose with the way they were brought up. As usual I absolutely love the idea.

Bonnie said...

This is beautiful and I love that picture of walking along a trail in the woods.

Hill Top Post said...

You always come up with the best ideas for your journals! I know you are going to have fun with this one.

WendyK said...

This will be fabulous Heather, a great idea. Look forward to seeing it when you have finished it. No pressure !