I thought I should return to my first love of stitching to ensure I hadn't forgotten all I learned so many years ago. I came across the front and back covers of a fabric book, made a while back, and filling it seemed just the thing to get me started. The cover is made up from scraps and strips of all sorts of fabric - sari ribbon, lace, silk and cotton - with embellishments such as buttons, lace scraps, paper shapes, beads, etc.
I have always like log cabin patchwork so a square had to be included. I stitched a tiny sewing machine charm in the centre.
I made a lace trimmed pocket on this page, to house a
C1950s needlecase which once belonged to my mother.
Here I just stitched on various paper and card haberdashery labels
More, in similar vein.
And again, with the addition of three decorative wooden flower buttons.
I bonded a heart shaped vintage fabric scrap and trimmed it with narrow flowery lace. In each corner I added a dorset button.
Another pocket and a possibly Edwardian needlecase which once belonged to my grandmother. It is made from tartan silk and is literally threadbare in places.
It has been useful to have some hand sewing to do while I sort out my thoughts for more books in the pipeline. I am often surprised by the way that my books can take over part the way through the making of them. They seldom turn out exactly how I had imagined them originally.
I am hoping that my next book will be a mix of drawing and stitch, and probably based on the theme of trees. However, there are still quite a few more pages to make for the needlework one.