Friday 25 June 2010

Lechlade pictures from last week.

I caught sight of this handsome door as soon as I got out of the car in the main street and just had to take a photo of it. It's a shame those two cars are parked right in front of it but at least they left a gap just wide enough.
I grew up an hour's busride from Windsor and in the summer we would sometimes go for a boatride on the Thames. I didn't realise then that the source of the Thames is in the Cotswolds.
After we had had a look round the very attractive little town, we had lunch at a riverside pub. These narrow boats were moored to the right of the gardens. I had romantic notions of living on a boat when I was young - what a good job we don't live on one now, I'd never fit all my stuff in and the weight of my books alone would probably sink it.

The bridge was to the left. It was difficult taking pictures as it was very busy and all the tables were occupied and I didn't want to be a nuisance.


The ducks and swans seemed to know it was lunchtime and were queueing up on the scrounge for titbits.


I love this picture of the swan and her cygnet. Swans always look so calming and serene. When we have seen them at Slimbridge and they get out of the water onto the bank, I am amazed at how much larger they look. There, they are quite used to humans walking near them, but if a wild swan got out of the water I think I'd beat a hasty retreat.
Isn't this weather gorgeous? Perhaps not if you have to work and are stuck in an office all day and then in a car, too and from. The cat woke us early again so I got quite a lot done before it got too hot. I have spent most of the day in the garden doing some outdoor housework first and putting in my herb plants, then sitting with some needlework and moving my chair to follow the shade.

I have spent ages arranging and re-arranging the stones round the waterfall feature, trying to make them look more natural and as if they haven't been arranged at all! I do hope the man who is doing the pond edge capping doesn't say I have to wait a week for it to settle before I can get round and do all the planting. I'm already trying to think of other places I could stand to do it, but in a small garden there isn't any extra space. Four more days to go and then I'll find out.
In recognition of Armed Forces Day tomorrow, I am off to hang our Union Jack up in case we don't get an early call from the cat in the morning! At heart I am a pacifist but I do support our troops and the grand job they do, sometimes under appalling conditions and not always well equipped.


10 comments:

Carol Q said...

another lovely story of your days out Heather, backed up by photos. be careful you're not taken for a footy fan tomorrow with your flag!

Maggi said...

What charming photos Heather. I nearly bought a houseboat near to Hampton Court but finally saw sense before signing on the dotted line.

Totalfeckineejit said...

Lovely pics Heather.Isn't Summer just the best thing?!

The Weaver of Grass said...

That last paragraph - my feelings exactly Heather.
Nice to see the old Thames still flowing - we had a holiday in a motor cruiser on the Thames forty years ago - never been so terrified in my life.

mrsnesbitt said...

Lovely day out! I felt cool beside the water!

sharon young said...

As usual a lovely interesting post. Heather, i like Windsor too, but it's always very busy.
Love your swan pic.

Linda Vincent said...

Ahhh...sitting by the river having a drink on a summers day....one of life's pleasures!
Hope the pond edging is laid to your satisfaction today Heather. Looking forward to seeing the pics.

BT said...

It looks beautiful Heather and I love that door, in spite of the cars. The swan looks so regal with its cygnet. It looks as though you had a wonderful day.

Blogger said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Blogger said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.