Tuesday 22 June 2010

This and That.

I thought I'd give you a glimpse of the pond and waterfall. The surroundings still look very contrived and harsh so I've managed to avoid them in this shot. Wednesday 30th is the day the edging will be put down and then we can get the rocks and boulders in place to bring it all together. After that the plants can go in and it should begin to look more natural. The frogs and newts seem to be happy enough and we've had plenty of damsel flies visiting so it is already working as a wildlife pond which was my aim.
This little fellow is a real gardener's friend and appears whenever either of us goes out to do a bit of work. I think he's a young parent bird as he gathers quantities of insects in his beak and flies off with them, returning to search for more. I was sitting not three feet away from him when I took this photo - he seems to know we would do him no harm.

This is one of our bluetit babies tucking in to the fat balls. It was just above my head and taken from the same position as the robin photo.


The allotment is growing slowly. I thought I would have finished it by now, but each day other things have pressed in and taken priority. Of the two strips I need to finish it, one is almost complete and then there will be just one more to do. An uninterrupted day could see it done.

This is another section of the seven strips already completed...........

................and this is a mistake!!! I must find out how to delete photos from my post!


Finally, here is a shot of our daft old cat sharing my husband's choc ice! We have never given him icecream but the other evening when my husband settled down to eat one the cat went mad for it, and now miaows hopefully for another helping if none is forthcoming. If you look carefully I think you can see his tongue in mid-lick. It probably wouldn't be the ideal treatment for a young cat, but ours is very old and definitely at the age when 'a little of what you fancy does you good'.





9 comments:

Carol Q said...

what a lovely post Heather - nature, crafts and pets. love your allotment. I had a really close look at the enlarged version just to study all the different stitches you've incorporated. can't wait to see the finished piece.

Julie said...

Your allotment is going to be wonderful. I love all the stitches and textures they create. Your cat is very sweet :o)

Michala Gyetvai (Kayla coo) said...

Hello,
The stitched allotment is so intricate, wonderful.
I think your cat has good taste!

The Lesser Weevil said...

It's looking lovely, Mum. Can't wait to see the finished product. Hope that Dad isn't too bothered by all the bodies trampling over his lawn! Just tell him that, at least, they'll keep the squirrels away for a bit!

Doreen G said...

Our cat used to love to lick the top off the yoghurt container.
It was so funny to see him as his tongue was licking so fast that the lid would come back and hit him on the nose.
Thanks for all your comments lately heather much appreciated.

Anonymous said...

Lovely post Heather. The birds are having a feeding frenzy on the fat balls here too. Your allotment is looking beautiful.

The Weaver of Grass said...

Oh Heather - that dear old cat. I used to have one who liked a taste of toast and marmalade.
Those allotment pieces are absolutely excellent - they look really good - but I do know what you mean - how to fit everything into the day - something has to wait.
The pond is coming on well - I love newts particularly when they come out of the pond in the winter and hibernate under stones.
Robins - love them too.

BT said...

What a super post Heather. I bet you're excited about the pond being done on the 30th. That little blue tit looks cute and robins are just so trusting, aren't they?
As for your allotment, it's just awesome, literally. Can't wait to see it finished.

Sophie Munns said...

Great to hear from you heather...

just received your comment... but blogger seems to be not allowing comments coming through emails to be posted tonight...global gitch!
keep on with the allotment one...loved it ...really!
wonderful comments from you..thank you!
Sophie