Wednesday 30 June 2010

Visitors and work in progress.

Our youngest daughter often joins me for a creative day on Wednesdays and of course Poppy comes too. Julia painted some fabric today and Poppy felt left out and can be seen here looking as if she is choosing her colours for her next project. I didn't put her up there - she had come onto my lap for a bit of fuss and slowly but surely climbed up and sat down on the table. The things that go on in some diningrooms.

Another welcome visitor here enjoying the sun. I think this is a comma butterfly - it stayed for several minutes and may have been drinking from a tiny drop of moisture at the side of the little waterfall/cascade.
A clearer view of the butterfly above, and the long awaited day of capping the pond has arrived - work in progress below.
There will be stone slabs laid on top of the step which will be just the right height for putting my cup of tea down when I am sitting in the right hand corner where the bucket thing is, or for doing step exercises!

It all looks very raw and new and needs to weather in a bit but I am very pleased with the result and have to wait 2 or 3 days for the mortar to go off before using the step. I do hope we have a fine weekend so I can get out there and get all the plants in to soften the hard edges and tidy up the patio. Having said that, the lawn is looking parched and the soil in places is more like dust so we could really do with some rain. Only after all the weddings, fetes and other outdoor events have taken place of course.
This is a bit blurred I'm afraid as I had to take it through the kitchen window. Blackbirds love apples and this one had gorged himself and had to sit for a while to let the apple go down. He was quite motionless for some time and I wondered if he was injured, but he suddenly came to life and started tucking in all over again.


Another lovely picnic spot to finish with. It was so peaceful here beside the River Avon at Twyning just north of Tewkesbury. It's hard to believe there is a busy motorway in the middle distance. While we were there I heard a cuckoo again - that's the second time this year and I hadn't heard one for decades.






11 comments:

The Weaver of Grass said...

I am very envious Heather - we have not heard the cuckoo once this year.

Carol Q said...

pond is going to be lovely Heather. I agree the river at Twyning is lovely and peaceful. I think that's a comma too. if I remember rightly, there's a white comma on it's underside.

Clare Wassermann said...

Lovely post - I think the blackbird picture is wonderful. He must have flown away a very satisfied bird x

Robin Mac said...

Lovely pictures, the pond is going to be lovely. Your cuckoo must be very different from the cuckoos in Australia - ours are not popular birds at all, some of them have VERY raucous and repetitive calls, especially in the middle of the night! Cheers, Robin

izzy said...

Nice ! I wanted to know more about the fabric painting-
love the dog...and blackbird-thanks.

Maureen said...

Love your blackbird, never knew they ate apples - must put some out for them.

Julie said...

Your pond is looking good, not too far to go now. We have had blackbirds sitting on the lawn with their mouths open too. I'm sure it must be tough for them in this hot weather.

Downunderdale said...

it's going to be lovely Heather - quite different from our front garden for sure. Very peaceful I would think

Linda Vincent said...

Its good to see the 'pond's progress' and the lovely wildlife you have in your garden. And the 'not-so-wild' life on your worktable! Bless.......

Maggi said...

The pond is looking good. Lovely photos and the blackbird looks like he is doing a bit of sunbathing in between gorging himself. I do hope Poppy made good colour choices for her project although with you as an inspiration how could she not.

BT said...

Another super post Heather. I had to laugh at the blackbird so full of apple! We have had bull finches in the garden today on a thistle - now I can't pull it up! The pond will be just fine when it has weathered. The comma butterfly is just gorgeous and well done for the photograph. As for Poppy, how cute! Lovely to be doing artwork with your daughter. The final photo is just beautiful too.